Friday, August 3, 2012

The Raven (2012)

"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before..."

- Edgar Allan Poe                         
    "The Raven"                        

Let me start this by saying FINALLY. My road to actually seeing this film was absolutely ridiculous to say the least. It seemed that everything in the world did not want me to see this film, from theaters to personal issues it seemed as though The Raven would have alluded me.

As I said before I felt like I was destined not to see this movie. When I initially wanted to see this film, a family event popped up that kept me from attending. The second time I tried to see this film was supposed to be at a local drive in theater, but yet again the film eluded me by being replaced by MEN IN BLACK 3 of all films. I did, however, stay persistent. Finally a pal of mine and I decided we would go see it in the theaters one Friday evening. So we check fandango, got the time and off we go. We get there ask for tickets and are informed that theater no longer had the film! WHAT!!! Still wanting to see this film we looked on fandango one last time at the next theater closest to us, they had it starting in 20 mins and we could make it! So we rushed over, asked for tickets and fandango failed us yet again by not having the film at said time. So needless to say I felt I was cursed NEVER to see this film. Obviously that curse was lifted due to some wonderful people, that will remain unnamed, that lent me a screener copy of the film.

The Raven is a fictional take of the final days of Edgar Allan Poe, with a wonderful twist. Released by Rogue, a company of Relativity Media, this film delivers all the goods of a horror film with a physiological thriller twist. Basically A serial killer is on the loose in an 1849 Baltimore, Maryland, striking fear into the city by killing victims in fashions described in Poe’s fictional stories.

I want into this film with some hesitations. When I first caught wind of the films lead role of Poe going to John Cusack, I was a little wary. Don’t get me wrong I am a fan of Cusack’s previous work, but I was unsure as to how he would do with a period piece such as this. All things aside I was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed Cusack’s performance. I think he brought his own spin on the role which played out rather nicely.

I thought the film was shot well. The direction was straight and to the point. The director James McTeigue did a great job of keeping the viewer on their toes by throwing in some nice angled shots. The film uses both CG and practical effects which is nice, but I do wish most of the on screen kills used more practical effects.

I really liked this movie and will rush out to my local dvd/blu-ray retailer to snatch it up as soon as its official release. GLP gives this film 4 out of 5 stabs for creative story, strong lead performance and original twist on Edgar Allan Poe’s final days. If you would like to pre-order the film you can do so here. The official street date for blu-ray and dvd is October 9, 2012. So until then you can watch the trailer below!


GLP Rating

 

No comments:

Post a Comment