Friday, August 31, 2012

The Art of Scare


Since I am a moron my original post is being pushed till next week. I grabbed the wrong usb cable and can not upload pictures from my camera. But regardless I have and equally good post for you today.

I am a graphic designer by trade. I went to school for it and landed a rather kush job using my degree. I have always been fascinated with the illustrations of 80’s horror films. During the early 80’s most of the films used artists to design their posters and cover art. As a result, a lot of really cool and original artwork came out of it. Here are some of my favorite posters I would see as a kid rooming through left over posters at my moms old video store.

First on the list is Curtains (1983). I love this poster. The old lady mask in the background is a really nice touch, seeing as how the killer in the film wheres a mask similar to this. The creepy blank stare porcelain doll give the poster an air of unease. I really enjoy the mouth of the old hag tuning into curtains as well.

To sum up Curtains basically an actress commits herself into a mental institution to study for a role. While there the director of the film in which she is studying has her officially committed and offers the role to 6 younger actresses that are all invited to the directors home for a weekend audition where one woman will be crowned. Eventually the girls start being picked off 1 by 1 by someone in an old hag mask!

While this film is a classic in the slasher genre is has not gotten an official DVD release, it has been featured in a horror 4 pack but offers up a horrible transfer and has left most of the genre junkies quite pissed about it! Find this movie and watch it!

Alone in the Dark (1982) is a film that I had to hunt down when I first saw it. I vaguely remember seeing this poster in the old poster bin at the video store my mother worked at. I have always thought this poster was one of the better of the genre films of is time. There is no chance of misinterpretation with this guy. The waist down depiction of the man with the axe really sets the focal point for this poster. The blood stained axe lets you know your in for some slashing, and the lone home in the background really captures the desolate feeling of films final showdown.

Basically the film is about 4 escaped mental patiants that go on a killing rampage. All the while after their doctor from the asylum. I would also suggest people see this film. I consider this to be one of the better slasher movies of the 80's. The story is very well put together and the acting is pretty good as well. Also the late Jack Palance is featured as a lead in this gem.This film is available on DVD through Amazon and most other online DVD retailers. Check this classic out!

Last on today's list is the ORIGINAL Prom Night (1980) featuring Jamie Lee Curtis in here 3rd film role and the late Lesile Nielsen. This film for me is a staple in the slasher genre. I always remember this seeing this film in the video stores, and actually seeing 2 different posters, the other being Miss JLC as prom queen with a bloody axe in a bouquet of roses. I always found this poster to be very effective. Seeing the silhouette of the killer and only his eyes and hand holding a glass shard really adds to the mystic of the films killer. Being that you don't know who the killer is until the final seconds of the movie this poster nails it. I like the simplistic approach to the poster as well, the artist didn't convolute the artwork with things that were unnecessary.

The basic rundown of the film is much like any other slasher film out. A group of high school senior are being stalked by an unknown killer in a ski mask wearing all black. For me, they story of why the killer is stalking the high schoolers is what makes me like this film so much. Prom Night is available on DVD but has had multiple released by different companies, and most of the transfers are not that great. But hey its the slasher genre so the transfers only add to the sleaze.

Thats all for today, I hope you like my artwork post today, let me know what you thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment